Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Spiderman Versus Venom!



Well I just came back from Port Dickson the other day. It was my father's company's family weekend, or something like that. PD's dirty as ever. The water's.. anything but blue. Quite sad haha. Anyways I had quite some fun and I came across a hobby everyone used to play with when they were young. The older generations, that is. Even my mum used to do it.

Its called Spider Fighting! It's not exactly a cool game but very intriguing. The spider is some special species that spin their webs on pandan leaves. Okay, first of all, we will need to find an area where pandan leaves grow like no tomorrow. Then find leaves that are stuck together. Open the leaves a little and peep carefully and there will most probably be a spider web there. And with the spider web is an ant. Stupid. Obviously a spider! If it's a male, pluck the whole leaf out. Then, find another male, introduce them to each other, and let the fighting begin!

How to distinguish between male and female:

When you open the leaves a little and peep into the web, the spider will look back at you. Male spiders will have a ring of white around them and will be slightly more colourful than the female ones. Female spiders are much more timid and blacker.

Round 1, Fight!

I think the spiders are very territorial. When 2 males meet, they will fight for their territory or just to show whoever's stronger so they can get the female. Either that or the inferior one will run away. It's really fun to see them fighting. When they meet their so called front legs will open up wide, poised to strike. And then they will go into combat!



So, I've found a new hobby for myself if I ever get stuck in a pandan patch or some pandan jungle. Haha. Anyway PD was quite fun too.

No comments: