Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Road Not Taken

In Form 5 (or was it form 4) I studied this English poem entitled "The Road Not Taken". Am pretty sure most, if not all of you have heard of it, as most of you are around my age.

The poem illustrates the persona walking in the YELLOW woods (my SSC english teacher, a crazy-going-senile woman emphasized on the colour, the colourrrr), ending abruptly at a fork. There were 2 paths, one leading to the undergrowth below, which was full of dried leaves, clearly untouched, while the other, more eye appealing then the previous one,was a long straight path having signs of being wandered upon before as there were lesser leaves on the floor, most being brushed to the sides of the path. I'm so smart I don't understand a thing I said, or rather, typed. Basically just shows that one seems like a good path and the other not.

So the persona took the "good" path and in the end he regretted not taking the other path. Which pretty much sums up everything in life. Life is about making decisions. Life is about choosing sides. Life is about having a dilemma choosing over 2 equally beneficial options. Life is about.... basically I'm just trying to sound philosophical. Nevermind me. But it's true, no?

And then I came about this in the internet. I'm sure I saw it before some time ago, but I met up with it again today. Read on below.

TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS

Question 1:

If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the answer for this one.

Question 2:

It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates.

Candidate A - Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two Mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B - He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C - He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be your choice?

Decide first, no peeking, then scroll down for the answer.
>
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler.

And, by the way, the answer to the abortion question:
If you said yes, you just killed Beethoven.

Any sane person with adequate logical thinking would have been thinking "Abort" and "Candidate C".

But it turns out to be, that if the woman aborted, there would be no more Beethoven in the world.

No. Ludwig. van. Beethoven!



No Adagio Un Poco Mosso, no Fur Elise, no Rondo, no Symphony number 6, 7, 9, and most importantly 5 (Remember the Phua Chu Kang advertisement where the song went CHENG-CHENG-CHENG-JENGGG?). And of course a lot more but I don know others.

AND. Candidate C. Adolf Hitler. Though personally I do, for a fact, admire him, but think of what he's done to the world. NAZIS. Ahhh! Ouch! Oh nooo! Die! Cry! Fly! Bye!


See, if we take the paths that seemed obvious, it could have been a disaster. Beethoven dies. Adolf Hitler, world leader? And the persona in the poem regretted taking the "good" path. Hehe

So, what now? We go on with our lives, taking the "road not taken"? There can be boundless possibilities on what the consequences will be.

Say, while contemplating whether to eat in Asia Cafe or market (both provide tummy relief near Taylor's):

Hmm, since Asia Cafe is nearer, It's pretty obvious for me to go there. A huge variety of food! Furthermore, after eating, I can go up and play pool and foosball! But. But market, though far away, is cheaper. Waaaaaaay cheaper. Dirt cheap. And I don't have to suffer the smoke in Asia Club. Eh, but market abit dirty la. And the auntie abit zombie-ish. She goes "Teh-O-Ais-Limau-Satu" in a dead monotonous voice.
So how now? I don't know really.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Clever. I chose 'No' and B. 'Cause like I knew that stuff... Well I knew Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian and shizzay so, yeah. Likein this post thing, even if I only found it because I was after a Hitler cartoon.